Why do teenagers smoke?
According to Teen Drug Abuse "The differences between subjective feelings of those who smoke and those who don’t are shown in behavioral changes that are more apparent in teens than adults. Teens seem to be more abrasive when smoking or they feel like they are older and wiser when they smoke. The American Lung Association estimates that every minute four thousand eight hundred teens will take their first drag off a cigarette. Of those four thousand eight hundred, about two thousand will go on to be chain smokers."
Smoking is a very addictive habit that teens start to pick up at the age of 13-17. Most teenagers believe that by smoking they are cooler because they know its wrong and it goes against the law and their parent’s wishes. When kids are young they don’t want to listen to their teachers or parents they want to do the opposite so they can fit in. Most teenagers start smoking just to fit in and once they start smoking they become addicted. Teens believe that smoking helps relive stress when it comes to stuff like school, work, and fitting in gets to hard. We know that we are getting ourselves into the worse possible thing anyone could do because we know the consequences behind smoking. Those consequences include emphysema, high blood pressure, and various forms of cancer. Smoking does not make you look cool or attractive; the truth about cigarettes is that they are loaded with harmful chemicals and the end result is that they are a dangerous drug that can seriously harm people.
As a young teen myself who has been smoking for about 3 years I would have to say that it is the worse habit I could have got myself into. As months go bye I have increased the amount of cigarettes I smoke a day and in this past year I’ve been sick about 3 times in total from smoking. Where I feel like I’m coughing up a lung, have lost my voice and have had trouble breathing. I’m not able to walk up stairs without losing my breath and I can’t even enjoy the sports I use to play because if I run even a block I’m out of breath and that’s sad. Its very scary when I think about it because I’m scared that one day I’m going to get really sick and there’s going to be nothing I can do. I have tried many times to stop smoking but it’s not as easy as people think it is. I can always say “I’m going to stop smoking” but its always easier said then done. I recommend to anyone who reads this who does smoke or is thinking about trying a cigarette for the first time to not do it because that will be the one mistake that you wish you never did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can agree that it's a filthy habit. I can't however agree that all teens do it to look cool because their are teens that smoke and not a soul knows. Some teens have grown up around it and others choice to pick it up. I also advice teens to stay away from smoking anything! P.S. If you notice that smoking is making you sick and you can't breathe why don't you quit?
ReplyDeleteKristen I am sorry to see that smoking has affected you in this way, but it was a decision that you yourself made. In this life every single one of our actions has consequences, i had warned you this when you first stared. However, people can change habits like that and i wish you the best of luck in quitting. Smoking is just something i never could understand why people do. I mean I have never ever tried a cigarette, and the urge just simply isn’t their, my rule on temptation is if you know it’s not the best thing to do don't let yourself be tempted. Try something like nicotine gum. I know it’s hard when so many teens are doing it today but you’re a strong woman, i think you can do it.
ReplyDeleteI think you're 100% right about the reason that teens decide to smoke. They do think its cool because they're rebelling. In the long run it isn't hurting anyone but themselves. It's interesting reading this from you're point of view because as a smoker yourself you explain the harms of it. I give you credit for writing about it.
ReplyDeleteI think this is the worst habit anyone can have because once you start smoking you can't quit. We can easily tell you to stop smoking but then we also got to understand that its not easy for you. You are addicted to it. You can try to stop, not smoke for a couple of days but you are going to end up smoking anyways because you feel like you're body needs it.
ReplyDeleteTotal: 49
ReplyDelete